Remember my Peanut Butter Chocolate Sandwich Cookies? Of course you do - it was published only a week ago...
Well, these cookies are very similar - I'm regularly using the dough in this recipe to make a classic pie-crust.
These jam sandwich cookies are a simple way of using the pie-crust-dough's leftovers.
And just like their chocolaty cousins - feel free to use all of the dough only for making these cookies - no need to bake a pie just so you'll have dough leftovers for making cookies :)
The cookie-dough recipe is based on a chocolate "porcupine" recipe by Micky Shemo.
Jam Sandwich Cookies
Yields: 30-35 2-inch-diameter cookie-sandwiches
for the cookies:
- 50 grams sugar
- 113 grams (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold, cubed
- 1 egg
- 210 grams all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 overloaded tbsp jam
- Cookies: Preheat oven to 355 degrees (F).
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a food processor or a mixer with a flat beater, mix together butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add in egg and a quarter of the flour mixture. Mix for a few seconds.
- Add in the rest of the flour mixture. Mix until a large dough-ball is formed, not beyond.
- Form the dough into a 1/2 inch thick disc shape.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or more).
- Remove dough from plastic wrap, and knead/mold a little with your hands, to warm it up a bit.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough to be about 3-4 mm thick on a generously-flour-dusted surface.
- Using a cookie-cutter in any shape/size you like, cut cookies out of the dough.
- [Optional] Using a round pastry-bag tip or a small round cutting tool, remove the center of half of the cookies.
- Filling: Warm the jam in the microwave (10-15 seconds) or over a double boiler. Stir until smooth.
- Assembly: Place a small "blob" of jam in the center of each cookie that does not have a hole in it / half of the cookies.
- Create cookie sandwiches by placing a cookie with a hole in it / "clean" cookie over each "blob"ed cookie. Gently press the edges of each cookie-sandwich to better stick the cookies together.
- Place all cookies (in a single layer) on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven, and let it sit in room temperature to allow cookies to *completely* cool down (jam in the cookies will be *hot*!).
Leftovers? Keep the cookies in room temperature in an air-tight container / cookie jar.